Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Things that make you go hhmm.... 15

Bill Gates was on a tour of colleges this past week to try to raise the interest in computer sciences and the job possibilities therein.

I see one problem right out of the gate. Whatever you do, the work will never be yours. The product you create will always belong to the company for which you work.

This is also true of many other companies that people work for.

The company I work for does not create software but if it was created by someone working for them, during the time that they were employed, not even while on the job but merely while employed, the end product belongs to the company.

We have one person who is more than proficient with MS Excell and creates a variety workbooks and sheets that interact in specific ways to record data from the clients. The way in which these sheets work now belong to the company for which we work.

Incentive to create while working for any company has essentially been shot down at this point.

Another item, once you have decided that you want to move on, for whatever reason, stagnating in the position, no possiblitiy for moving in the company, more money, the company for which you worked can now demand that you do not perform the same duties for any one else.

WTF! If there is one thing that I am extremely good at, I should be paid what I am worth in that position and if someone else is willing to pay more, then I should be able to go to that employer. It is just that plain and simple.

Do you see CEO's leaving companies and being contractually restricted from heading any other corporation? Not likely.

I say, "What is good for the goose is good for the gander!"

I think I just showed my age with that statement.....

Thoughts

No comments: