Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Things that make you go hhmm.... 17

How do some companies figure they can manage to progress when the people in the lower power positions hold back the people that can do the jobs better than them?

Should there not be some sort of outside company or people that are not "stuck" in the chain of command to watch and possibly promote the people that would best serve the company?

You may say that "human resources" is the part of the company that is exactly in the position to do so but I know from experience, they work for the management.

There seem to be far to many managers that are in such fear for their jobs by those that are below them that they hold them back.

I, for one, have shown that I can do the management job better than those who have held the position for more than a year before I moved to a temporary position as a manager.

I really don't want to sound like I am blowing my own horn but.....

This seems to be the same problem in a lot of companies.

This also makes some sense when you read my 48 rules of power.

Right now, this company is having a huge issue trying to acquire and retain employees but the upper management is not looking at what lower management is doing that is negating all of the steps being taken to change the trend.

It is well past time to make the actual change, make management accountable for the holding back people who have proven themselves.

Make them accountable for how they treat the people below them

Make them accountable for their nonresponsiveness.

Plain and simply make them completely accountable!

And, especially, make them accountable to those below them!

Thoughts

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Well said. When I was in "middle management" I always felt I was spinning my wheels. We would have a staff meeting where Iwould unveil some guidelines that I felt (I knew)would sped up the transfer of info through the chain.
LO and behold, at a management meeting they agree on an edict that for all intensive purposes countermanded what I had put in place 3 days before. This included "Un-promoting" one of my staff. I had the pleasure of the promotion and of course was charged with making the reversal.
Who looks like the bad manager to the staff?