Thursday, March 16, 2006

Things that make you go hhmm.... 76

When should it not be a requirement that you need to take time to learn something no matter how old you are?

One of my pet peeves is someone who spends anything over $500 on a computer (used to be $2000 to $3000) and does not want to know anything about it, they just want to feel like they are doing something by "click, I'm doing something, click, I'm doing something".

I talked to an ass yesterday that did just that.

A piece of software goes with the hardware that he purchased and because he couldn't just click and be doing what he wanted, he was more than a little irritated.

His first words to me were, "I just plugged my printer in and it printed out a full page of a picture of my floor!"

This is not the product I support and the software that was causing it is very limited support. I told him how to empty the print queue which cleared up one of his issues.

He then demanded a manual for the software. I noted that he could just check the help files to do what he wanted. I have a similar but much newer version of the software than he does and attempted to assist but the look and menus are different so the help I could offer was very limited.

The one thing he kept throwing at me was the fact that he was 65 and didn't have the time to learn the software. WTF?

He was so ignorant when I said that for any software that he had, he would have to take some time to learn, I just couldn't believe it.

He called back later and complained that the store where he had purchased the product 3 months ago, had the nerve to require a 15% restocking fee.

I told him that I would not be refunding anything for a product that works and that he just felt he didn't have the time to learn.

That was the second time he hung up on me. Go figure, as you get older you have the right to not have to learn. I wonder if that would work for me?

hhmmm....

Thoughts

No comments: