Sunday, January 08, 2006

Things that make you go hhmm.... 42

I'm going to jump on that maintenance, sorry, non-maintenance of the pedestrian walkways again...

We had a good sized snow storm before Christmas this year, dumped about 1-2 feet of snow on us.

The city, in it's infinite wisdom, decided that the sidewalks did not need to be cleared until almost a week later.

As a pedestrian, I walk to work, home and pretty much anywhere I need/want to go.

That day, I was forced by the non-maintenance, to walk "on" the highway to get to work. I would walk along the outside lane until I came to a driveway, move into the driveway, watch and wait for the traffic to clear and then back out there to walk to the next driveway.

I made it about halfway when I was picked up by an acquaintance who worked in our IT department.

Three days later, I was headed over to my ex-wifes place to see my daughter as she lives with her Mother, and took a lot of pictures of the unkempt sidewalks.

This is the same city that tried to institute another by-law against frivolous lawsuits, it already has over 30,000 bylaws now which is 4 times the number in a city that is more than twice its size.

Would a lawsuit be out of line if I, as the sidewalks were impassable, were to sue for any harm that may have come to my from walking on the road? Maybe being hit by a car? Maybe falling and breaking a leg, or arm? Maybe having a heart attack from trying to walk through the 2 feet of snow on the sidewalk?

Anyway, the thing that kicked me off on this tangent again was the sight I saw last night. I was downtown doing my laundry when what did I see? Their sidewalk plows were out!

They went up and down both sides of the street that the laudro mat is on and the highway that the dead end street I live on comes off.

The thing about last night is the fact that we barely had a dusting of snow? WTF?

The only thing I can think of is that these characters are being paid for the amount of snow they move and not an hourly wage.

Maybe they were short on their holiday pay and needed to make up a little more in the first pay of the new year. I really can't figure this out.

I also have a bone to pick with some of the people who either don't like pedestrians or believe them to be an unnecessary evil in their neighborhoods.

One in particular, along the stretch that I follow to get to work, has a very nice, big house and lot, and takes very meticulous care of his property.

When it snows, his is one of the first places on that stretch of highway to be plowed....

The problem is, he will have the snow pushed up across the sidewalk. You wind up having to climb a snow bank on either side of both ends of his "U" shaped driveway to get by his house.

I have found that churches are the same way. I have the pics to prove it! They clear their parking lot and push the snow across the sidewalks. The last time they left almost four foot high banks that you had to get to the road to get around.

These are supposed to be "people" places! Apparently not. Seems they only want the people with enough money to purchase cars, that way they know the contribution plates will have enough green for the churches....

Anyway, enough for now. You know they are only going to continue to give me material for this thing I call a blog....

hhmmm....

Thoughts

2 comments:

Hale McKay said...

In our area, the residents are responsible for clearing the sidewalks of snow. If someone falls and gets hurt, the homeowner is responsible. The city repairs the walks, but we must keep them clear.

Thoughts said...

That would be acceptable too but someone has to take some sort of resposibility and take care of the pedestrain ways.

I certainly couldn't keep the whole city clear myself, not to mention the couple of miles I walk to get to work each day.

Thamks for the comments, seems yer the only one that does.

Thoughts