Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Things that make you go hhmm.... 47

Now remember, this is all over a $30 product....

Bzzttt...

"Thank you for calling the xxxxxxx, my name is xxxxxxx, how may I assist you today?"

"My xxxxxx has never worked!"

"And what is the product you are calling about?"

"xxxxx, and it hasn't worked from the beginning!"

"That product has been out of production for at least three years."

"But it has never worked!"

"When did you purchase it?"

"I got it in October of 2004."

"Do you have the proof of purchase?" (I can replace out of warranty products if I feel it is warranted among other options, but there has to be a good reason)

"I can't get that and you know it!"

"If you purchased it when you claim, the store should have the record, they are required to keep sales records for several years by law." (this I know from experience and more than one customer has sheepishly called me back with the required receipt)

"You know I am not going to be able to get that receipt for a product that is a couple of years out of warranty!"

"You just claimed that it was a little over a year old and if you can produce a receipt to prove that, I will exchange it with no further questions."

"I found a lot of people having the same issue on the internet and they were replacing them because it was a known issue."

"I know of no such known issue and reiterate my offer." (don't EVER throw that known issue defense in because it will never be admitted by any company, you would be dumber for mentioning it in the first place and of course, pick any item that has been made and you can find derogatory information on the web, think before you speak!)

"I know as well as you that I am not getting the proof of purchase!" (of course I know it because the last time you called in was over two and a half years previous)

Within ten minutes of hanging up with this customer, I find a voicemail from her. It describes how she is going to insert the product into my exit orifice. Now, I know I am not a small person but the product that she claims she will insert is the size of a small garbage can. And if she were to meet me face to face, she definitely would not have entertained the thought of telling me what to do with the product.

When I called back as is required by our processes, I got no reply which I expected but then she contacted the corporate office again by email. The product went from the original $30 price all the way to $200 and the $30 accessories went to over a $100 each.....

This makes you wonder....

What kind of reason would you use to qualify the fact that you have purchased the cheapest of the product lines on the ,market and expect it to be replaced more than three years out of warranty? What would possess a person to think that for a $30 product they should receive more than $1000 worth of support not to mention a replacement while out of warranty?

A little more to think about...

hhmmm....

Thoughts

2 comments:

warcrygirl said...

It's amazing what people think they can get away with. Thank god I don't work retail anymore! Just wanted to pop in and say hello and that seeing that you've not only linked me but put me first makes me squeal like a leetle schoolgirl.

Thoughts said...

yours is the second one I hit every single night after I get home from work.

The other one was accidentaly moved to the top of my favourites with an errant mouse click.....


Just so's ya know

Thoughts